I am so thankful that Casey and I waited to take our honeymoon. We truly enjoyed each other’s company in Costa Rica, which I can’t say would have been true had we taken this trip right after the wedding. Not to mention, we were also able to celebrate 365 days of wedded bliss or maybe just celebrate surviving our 1st 365 days of marriage. Either way, it was a blast! I was able to get up close and personal with wild monkeys and wake up at the crack of dawn to their howls, making my way on the patio like I was part of the troop. Thankfully, Casey was able to tolerate my monkey antics. He even said he enjoyed watching me get so giddy.
I must say I was pretty nervous about this trip. Take 1 on-the-go adventurer (me) + 1 poolside relaxer (Casey). Stick them in a foreign land and wrap it all up with a 4 hour drive to the hotel in a rental car. It’s clearly a recipe for disaster, but somehow it all seemed to work out. I even learned a few tidbits along the way.
- The scenic route is always better.
- Relaxing on the beach is always more fun together.
- Puking while snorkeling is quite possibly as gross as it gets.
- I’m more likely to talk my way out of a ticket in Costa Rica than America.
- A monkey won’t pass as a child on a plane. [I seriously contemplated the possibility.]
The main thing I learned from this trip was that Casey and I have really grown a lot in a mere 365 days thanks to the refining fire of marriage. And yes, fire burns. More to come on that later.